January 17, 2006

New On The Block

NEW BREED OF DEALER ON 14TH. "Future Green" has opened its second retail outlet just off of 14th St. NW. Not another fancy shmancy furniture store that's part of chain to boot, you ask? Well if that's what you think, you'd be wrong.

This "eco-friendly home and family center" has just opened (their other store is in Milwaukee) at 1469 Church St. They specialize in organic body-care products, organic mattresses, bedding and clothing, non-toxic building supplies, various recycled items, plus "fair-trade" products, which are produced by laborers earning a living wage.

In general, the store seems to have an Asian vibe to it. According to their website, "Future Green was born with the idea to have a shop that your every purchase created some sort of positive impact. Thus our slogan: The power of purchase, the positive impact! came into being." See what I mean. Reads like a fortune cookie.

Anyway, this is the second retail outlet that has opened in DC recently with a mission in mind other than simply turning a profit. Books For America -- with its pro-literacy mission -- opened in Dupont Circle last year.

One Liners

HOUSING PRICE MAP. As spotted on bubblemeter, here is a cool google mashup of recent home sales laid upon a map of DC.

MARK TUOHEY SAYS HE'S AN OPTIMIST about closing a deal on a baseball stadium. DC Bubble says "it will believe it when it see it." Plus it adds "show me the money" and "talk is cheap." You get the idea.

5 comments:

HomeImprovementNinja said...

Ugh! Since when is "fair trade" a positive thing?

1) "Fair trade" hurts small family farmers because they can't afford the thousands of dollars that it takes to get the certification.

2) WORKERS do not get paid a better wage under "fair trade". The farmer gets paid more, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that he will pay his workers more.

3) SInce the companies that can afford the "fair trade" certification are large companies, you are paying the worlds largest corporations extra millions of dollars to help them extinguish the small family farm. Good work!

Anonymous said...

Isn't the whole point of certification that in order to be certified as "Fair Trade" the various elements in the chain of production --- including the small farmers at the start of the chain --- have to have been fairly compensated for their efforts? I.e., It isn't small farmers who sell directly to your supermarkets in the US. That would not only be impractical but prohibitably expense since each farmer would have to fly up here, make his/her own deals, etc. etc. ... with no economies of scale. Instead the small farmer sells his produce to some large collective or the like and they in turn resell to an exporter who deals with importers here who deal with the Safeways of the world. What the Fair Trade Certification does is put the onus on these "large corporations" to show that they are dealing fairly with everyone down the chain ... including the small farmer that actually produces the produce.

Carlos said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...:Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jcondos house, costa rica beach condos, condos rentals. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/

Anonymous said...

A lot of people ask me how I like living in Costa Rica. My answer is, it was the best decision that I made in my life. I came to Costa Rica 7 years ago on a vacation and quickly fell in love with the beauty of the country and the hospitality of the people here. I couldn't wait to come back. I started coming here about 4 times per year and always had a great time and didn't want to leave. Two years ago, I decided to leave Arizona and come live in Paradise. I can not tell you how happy I am that I made that decision. Today, I wake up next to the ocean and run on the beach every morning. I eat the most delicious fruits, vegetables and fresh seafood. My stress levels are much lower than when I was living in the States and the potential here for investing, truly is unlimited. The best part of living here is showing our clients this country. I really don't feel like I have a job for the first time in my life. The joy I receive when I see the look on people's faces when they get into the warm water of the Pacific ocean is truly priceless. For those of you that have come and discovered paradise, you know what I am talking about. For those of you that are on the way, I can't wait to get you here. And to those who are thinking about Costa Rica, please do yourself a favor and come down. You will have the time of your life.


We invite you to take a tour on our website, and if should more information is required:



Great condo for sale in costa rica
Costa Rica Real Estate Articles and News, Costa Rica Beachfront Property. Visit us for more info at: http://www.costa-ricarealestate.com/

Costa Rica Real Estate said...

Congratulations! this information it is very interesting, I invite you to visit my site about Costa Rica Real Estate and Retirement in Costa Rica and you will find both. Prices will amaze you have a great investment opportunity to invest in Costa Rica Pacific Coast.
Visit us for more info at: http://www.Costa-RicaRealEstate.com